[fairtrade] Activist attends pro-WTO Conference]

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Tue Apr 25 08:00:24 PDT 2000

. . . The largely American audience of trade officials and policy wonks took the Lord's pronouncements seriously. The first comment by an American, picked up on the criticisms and asked 'How can we de-legitimize the NGOs?' The questioner claimed that these groups are usually supported by just a few charitable foundations and if the foundations could be convinced to cut off funding, the groups would be forced to cease operations. Mr. Litan, the former White House budget official, had another approach. He [asked] can't we give the NGOs other sandboxes to play in and have them take their concerns to groups like the International Labor Organization . . .

Here's some support for all you NGO critics and partisans of the ILO-not-WTO solution.

mbs