Police Spy on New Activists

Chris Kromm ckromm at mindspring.com
Tue Apr 25 19:37:00 PDT 2000

Thanks for passing this along, Chuck. I haven't seen anyone involved in A16 'fess up with an honest bit of analysis: the forces of repression defeated us in D.C. The mass arrests on Saturday; the closing of the convergence center; the easy importing of the delegates into the World Bank meetings; keeping protesters several blocks away from the meetings themselves; the chaos and further arrests on Monday -- this all added up to a pretty major defeat.

Sure, the "black bloc" won a couple blocks here and there, and the protests did put the World Bank/IMF "on the map" in terms of public consciousness. But tactically, on A15-A17? They crushed us, hands down. Quite unlike Seattle. I hope activists have the courage to admit that -- and draw the appropriate lessons about the limitations of open meetings, not taking precations for security, etc.

CK

----- Original Message ----- From: Chuck0 <chuck at tao.ca> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2000 1:53 PM Subject: Fwd: Police Spy on New Activists