Ex-GDR (was:Re: RES: a trip to North Korea)

Jim heartfield jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Wed Apr 26 01:44:43 PDT 2000

In message <001301bfaea9$a3330880$51c7fcc3 at hrath>, Johannes Schneider <Johannes.Schneider at gmx.net> writes

>I did not say anything about the motivation of that policy. What counts in this
>context are the results: In the former GDR women were much more included in the
>productive process and not simply reduced to the household and the process of
>childcare. Thats basically something progressive. Because women got their own
>income they were not dependant on their husbands, thus giving the right to
>divorce a meaning.

On the contrary, the context means that women were free relative to their husbands only in the sense that all were enslaved. Without basic civil liberties, such as the right to leave your work, then divorce is a hollow shell.

>After you have been defending the progressive slave-holders, now you are
>praising Christian values like the family as opposed to Communist creches and
>kindergartens.

I'm all for communist creches and kindergartens, but these were not they. If the police state of the GDR is communism, then yes, I would prefer that families were free from such interference.

>I dont know about Rumania, so I keep silent, but are you opposed to the right on
>abortion as well?

On the contrary, I defend the right. But a health system that provides abortion as contraception is one with a very high death rate.

-- Jim heartfield