Northern Ohio Stuff

Tom Lehman uswa12 at Lorainccc.edu
Wed Apr 26 09:18:49 PDT 2000

Tom Lehman 3315 W. 21st Street Lorain, Ohio 44053 440-282-6015

Dear Editor:

In researching the background of the 1948 Lorain beryllium disaster, I came across an interesting fact. According to the September 7, 1948 Lorain City Council meeting minutes 11,000 people were x-rayed for beryllium exposure after the disaster at Brush Beryllium.

My question is who paid for those 11,000 x-rays? I have contacted the Brush Wellman Corporation for this information, but, so far I haven't received a reply.

Most of the economic development plans in the City of Lorain are based on Lorain's lakefront and harbor development. Does it make any sense for a minor manufacturer to risk these developments by the use of a deadly substance? A substance that could harm the air quality, the fragile recovery of Lake Erie and give Lorain a really bad reputation for pollution.

All of the time, money and effort that has been put into the lakefront and harbor developments would be put at risk by the use or storage of beryllium in Lorain. With or without another disaster. Public knowledge

that the City of Lorain tolerates the use and storage of beryllium would be enough to discourage investment and frighten visitors away from

the lakefront and harbor development.

Lorain already has one eyesore dump that ruins a beautiful view of Lake Erie and the harbor. Will Lorain now have a second and highly dangerous

dump?

Sincerely,

Tom Lehman