Zero Tolerance

Eric Beck rayrena at accesshub.net
Wed Apr 26 11:40:43 PDT 2000

Wojtek wrote:

>It is easy to take cheap shots at the zero tolerance (ZT) policy,
>especially if one lives in suburbs or college campuses that are for the
>most part shielded from crime and grime. But your perspective dramatically
>changes when you live in inner city, as I do.

I live in Brooklyn, within spitting distance of Flatbush and a stone's throw from Bedford-Stuyvesant; it's hard to imagine a more "urban" place on Earth. I think zero-tolerance policies are racist, draconian, destructive, and completely without merit. Perhaps in this case perspective has nothing to do with geography.

Eric