Workers Memorial Day-April 28th

Tom Lehman uswa12 at Lorainccc.edu
Thu Apr 27 17:39:53 PDT 2000

Tomorrow is Workers Memorial Day for the Steelworkers and other unionists. Every April 28th we have little memorial services all over the country for Steelworkers who have been killed at work in the past year and in the more distant past.

One of my friends who had a close call with a ladle car of molten iron some weeks ago called me this morning. He's hoping that he will be able to get back to work in a few weeks. So Workers Memorial Day is also a good time to remember some of those close calls that we all have had. Sometimes its just a matter of being in the wrong place at the wrong time when something breaks. Other times there are environmental factors or human factors like stress and fatigue that contribute to accidents in the lean, mean and downsized steel industry.

Tom