Zero Tolerance

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Apr 28 06:44:01 PDT 2000

At 08:34 PM 4/27/00 -0400, Yoshie wrote:
>By violent crimes you mean murder, rape, aggravated assault, etc. Of
>course you can't claim that the majority of the incarcerated are
>violent criminals. If the police simply focused on violent crimes,
>while decriminalizing drugs & prostitution, the rate of incarceration
>would plummet dramatically.

Absolutely. However, decriminalization of "victimless crimes" (drugs and prostitution) may drastically reduce our prison population, but it is likely to have minimal effect on more serious crime (excpet perhaps crimes against property). Most violent crimes are committed to boost male ego: earn the perpetrator peer respect, control "his" woman, defend male "honor" etc. (cf. Jack Katz, _Seductions of crime_ which is an excellent account of motivation behind criminal acts).

I do not understand why so many Lefties (includinmg feminists) have such a problem with incarcerating and otherwise incapacitating violent males.

wojtek