Slavoj on Lenin

Fri Apr 28 13:37:15 PDT 2000

>>> Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> 04/28/00 12:36PM >>>
All you Leninists out there may be glad to hear (or maybe you won't, since it might confound your paradigm) that at a reading last night in NYC, Slavoj Zizek said that it was time to go back to Lenin. "Everyone" now is talking about Marx, but that's too easy; we all know about alienation and the "fetishism of merchandise." What we need now, he said, is someone who'll cut off some heads.

CB: Confound OUR theory ? Seems more like it corroborates us. You Zizek fans who are not Leninists are the one's who face a contradiction on this, obviously. Sounds like you are projecting your confusion.

By the way, to a questioner who implied he was guilty of Eurocentrism, Slavoj said "Yes, I'm a Eurocentrist." He pointed to the ANC, which in all its decades of struggle against apartheid, never wavered from a dedication to "universal" Englightenment values.

CB: I am Eurocentric when it comes to unravelling capitalism , because capitalism is a product of Europe. We got to get inside European heads to undo it.

Dubois taught us about two souls, one Black and one white.

CB