Fwd: NYC Mayday Weekend Events: RTS

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Apr 28 16:08:38 PDT 2000

Reclaim the Streets NYC - http://reclaimthestreetsnyc.tao.ca Reply-to: srduncombe at earthlink.net

Here it is, what you've all been waiting for, your official RTS Mayday itinerary:

WHAT: Guerrilla Gardening! WHEN: Monday, May 1, 4:30 sharp -- after the Workers March WHERE: Meet in Battery Park (at the tip of Manhattan) by "The Immigrants" statue and the Garden of Hope BRING: Plants, soil, seeds, instruments of gardening and music, yourself, friends

This is a non-violent direct action. We will pirate a neglected space in the city and make it bloom. We will create the seeds of our future society within the husk of the old.

This is also only one of many RTS supported events throughout the weekend. For the full schedule keep reading...

Friday April 28: Teach-in on the struggles of undocumented workers to win the right to earn a living and the right to live where they choose. The bosses insist on a free flow of capital, and relish the cheap labor provided by immigrant workers. We insist on the free flow of people and equal rights for all. The teach in will be at Charas El/Bohio community center, 209 East 9th street in the East Village (between B and C), and will start at 7pm.

Friday April 28 (later): Massive party in Brooklyn. Call 212-714- 4987 for info

Saturday April 29 : 5-9 Teach-in on the histories of Haymarket and Beltane, followed by affinity group meetings and strategy session to discuss Mayday affinity group actions (See below). Held at the DUMBA collective space in Brooklyn, at 57 Jay Street, Suite 1A. (Take the F train to York Street stop and walk down Jay Street two blocks, or take the A/C to Jay St./Borough Hall and walk from there). Afterwards, DUMBA will remain open until midnight for low- key socializing, video projections and music.

Sunday April 30: 2-7pm 14th annual Squatter Mayday free concert in Tompkins Square Park.

Sunday April 30: 7-10pm- Affinity group meetings at Charas El Bohio Community center.

Monday May 1- The day's activities can be broken down into three phases:

Phase 1- the large legal march and rally to support the cause of Amnesty for undocumented workers. This begins at Union Square (14th st. and Broadway) at 1pm and will march down to City Hall. This will be a festive, musical, colorful parade as much as a march, at least if we have anything to do with it.

Phase 2- Affinity groups to carry out affinity actions of their own choosing in and around the financial district of NYC.

Phase 3- A mass Guerilla gardening action will take place starting around 4:30pm. Meet at Battery Park. This will be a non-violent direct action. We will pirate a neglected space in the city and make it bloom. We will create the seeds of our future society within the husk of the old..

Reclaim the Streets NYC - http://reclaimthestreetsnyc.tao.ca

+++++++++

5/1 MON, 1 pm - March to demand general, unconditional amnesty for undocumented immigrants. March begins 1 pm at Union Sq (14th St & B'way) Contact Asociacion Tepeyac, 212-633-7108, asoctepeyac at hotmail.com http://www.tepeyac.org/

Mayday flyer (zipped .jpg or reply for other formats)

http://www.tepeyac.org/amnistia/volante.zip

April 16 in D.C

http://www.a16.org/ http://50years.org

http://www.globalexchange.org/wbimf/a16.html

http://www.sinkers.org/DC-streets/

http://www.a16.org/resources/

http:/www.directactionnetwork.org

http://www.destroyimf.org/

Independent Media Center

http://www.indymedia.org/

Local Direct Action Network calendar & minutes only:

NYC-DAN-announce-subscribe at topica.com

NYFMA hotline

212-969-8636

C.R.E.E.D. Events Calendar (NYC)