Prison Gangs: The Indispensable Enemy (was Re: Zero Tolerance)

brad.hatch brad.hatch at mciworld.com
Fri Apr 28 21:11:59 PDT 2000

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> >At 02:40 PM 4/26/00 -0400, Eric wrote:
> > >Earth. I think zero-tolerance policies are racist, draconian, destructive,
> > >and completely without merit.
> >
> >By contrast, selling drugs to black teenagers, shooting black women or
> >rival gang members, or robbing poor blacks of their meager possessions to
> >buy drugs are courageous of resistance carried out by ghetto freedom
> >fighters who deserve our full support.
> >
> >wojtek
>
> Christian Parenti writes in _Lockdown America_:
>
> ***** While guards wield the power to kill and rape, they do not
> rule supreme. The fault lines of power in the big house are
> notoriously murky. Sociologists long ago noted that guards do not
> unilaterally control prisoners but, rather, broker control with
> inmates.

An interesting note. Here in Colorado the Republicans have privatised some of the prisons. The companies running the prisons pay their guards poorly and have a large number of women guarding male prisoners. About a year ago their was a scandal about women guards having sex with the inmates. Aparently they would have sex with the most powerful inmates to assure safety and complience from the other prisoners.

Brad Hatch