Richebacher's comments

Mark Jones jones118 at lineone.net
Sat Apr 29 14:40:08 PDT 2000

Doug Henwood wrote:

> How could this all resolve itself? You could just have a long
> grinding period of adjustment without a true collapse, like Japan has
> been going through, or the U.s. went through from 1989-92/3. I also
> think you have to entertain the possibility that this really is a
> long upwave of prosperity, so there may be only a minor adjustment
> ahead. I think the character of the next recession will provide the
> definitive answer to the longer-term questions (and will show too
> whether the productivity pickup is a blip or something more real than
> a blip).

As Dean Baker put it in this weeks's Economic Reporting Review:

" most economists who have analyzed the stock market in relation to future projections of profit and economic growth, such as MIT Professor Peter Diamond and Yale Professor Robert Shiller, estimate that it was over-valued by between $8 trillion-$10 trillion. The size of the wealth effect associated with a correction of this magnitude is a decline in annual consumption spending of between $320-400 billion. A reduction in consumption of this magnitude would lead to a drop in GDP of 4-5 percent. "

I haven't seen Shiller's new book 'Irrational Exuberance' yet. But I don't think we have to wait for the next recession in order to understand what is going on in the world right now. The more the bubble inflates the bigger the crash will be; it's in the numbers. The obverse of the Anglo-Saxon bubble is the savage deflationary processes endured by most of the rest of the planet, as Gunder Frank for one has been arguing also for about 20 years, and rightly so, and is still doing so on WSN where Doug also inhabits. The present bubble is the legitimate offpspring of Reaganomics, a phase of US capital accumulation which successfully put an end not only to the USSR but to any notion or hope or expectation of development occurring anywhere in any meaningful form in the neo-colonial, semi-colonial, ex-colonial peripheries where 2/3 of humankind actually lives. The fact that these appalling events have coincided with the high flowering of hurrah-capitalism epitomised in successive and increasingly grandiose and triumphalistic WB/IMF/WTO annual reports recording huge economic growth in the world economy, should not blind us to the truth. Most people in Asia/India/Africa/LatAm are NOT better off or more secure or living in more democratic societies as a result of this great 'upwave' you and Shaikh like to speak of. The accumulaion process on a world scale has not just become more lopsided, it's become extravagantly polarised by ANY historical standards of comparison except perhaps for the excesses of the pyramid-builders of ancient Egypt. The present bubble is merely the frothy ending of this half-century cycle of American hegemony, and since the real growth in factor productivity in the WORLD even on the most optimistic assumptions is not sufficient to do anything at all for that ignored 2/3 of humankind, which is mostly like the fable of the Chinese peasant who is like a man standing up to his chin in water, so that the merest ripple is enough to drown him, then even the last residual justification for the grandiose excesses of US capitalism: that it has created a technological powerhouse from which a fountain of good things will come if people will just wait patiently for the benefits to trickle down - is shown to be false. Not only will the edifice crash down, it DESERVES to crash down and those of us who've been arguing so for a long time (I modestly include myself in the category) will be vindicated circumstantially as well as morally when it does.

Mark Jones http://www.egroups.com/group/CrashList