The Week

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Apr 30 13:13:13 PDT 2000

Mark Jones wrote:

>BTW, one reason why such a scenario (Euroland neoliberalism run amok) is
>unthinkable is because the US would never permit such a thing.

Gee, that's not the way I read U.S. intentions. You can hardly open a U.S. publication without reading about the urgency of European "liberalization"; a U.S. politician hardly opens his or her (equity requires me to say that, but I can't think of any women who've actually said this) mouth without urging the same. The U.S. has supported European integration from the first stirrings in the 1950s - an integration which has long been about the free movement of goods and capital (that phrase is in the Treaty of Rome, no?). Ditto Japan. So where do you detect this U.S. opposition?

Doug