Aristide on IMF and World Bank

Patrick Bond pbond at wn.apc.org
Sun Apr 30 17:27:34 PDT 2000

I had a chance to work in Aristide's Washington office in 1995, and I must say, having worked for lots of politicians, this was the only one who actually encouraged popular protest against his government's policies, so that he would have a left flank when it came to negotiations with the ubiquitous IMF, Bank and US AID teams. By October 1995 his left flank was so strong that his prime minister resigned in frustration. But regrettably it was never strong enough to do more than cul-de-sac the IMF/Bank/IFC/AID plans. Maybe the breakthrough comes in a potential next term? Maybe...

Patrick Bond email: pbond at wn.apc.org * phone: 2711-614-8088 home: 51 Somerset Road, Kensington 2094 South Africa work: University of the Witwatersrand Graduate School of Public and Development Management PO Box 601, Wits 2050, South Africa email: bondp at zeus.mgmt.wits.ac.za phone: 2711-488-5917 * fax: 2711-484-2729