Rant (was: Re: Fwd: Who wins in November does matter)

Barry Rene DeCicco bdecicco at umich.edu
Tue Aug 1 07:47:27 PDT 2000

Nathan, I don't mean to be a prick, but *please * trim things a bit.

<rant on - to people in general, not Nathan>

It's amazing to me, hanging out on other lists, just how big a percentage of the text in a typical LBO digest is quoted text. People will quote pages just to add one line, or even no lines. Then, when a third person picks up a thread, they'll quote the one line that person #2 added, with the 2-3 pages that the original person wrote.

People will quote a webpage, even if the site is open to the public (I can see quoting an entire article from a site which is not open to the public, because otherwise we couldn't see the whole article).

It's what the Rush Limbaugh show would be if the dittoheads calling in din't just say , "ditto", but also played a recording of the last half-hour of the show.

The main thing that frustrates me is that I'll read through the quoted (double-quoted, triple-quoted,...) text, looking to see where the current poster put in their comments. And then I'll find that they didn't, and they were just doing the "LBO dittohead" thing.

</rant>

Thanks for your patience.

Barry