Bush, NoW

kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Sun Aug 6 07:50:30 PDT 2000

On Sun, 6 Aug 2000 10:23:13 -0400 Gordon Fitch <gcf at panix.com> wrote:

> I don't know if it is accurate in this context to characterize
> Heidegger as a "Nazi philosopher" even if he was (1) a Nazi
> and (2) a philosopher.

Despite my Adornoesque dislike for Heidegger, I agree. The problem with Heidegger (one problem, not the problem) is that he knew very little about that Nazi party (one Heideggerian scholar once mentioned to me that the only reason he was a member was because he hadn't read the party platform), despite being a member (although, hell, one would think he knew enough!!!). If my memory serves, he might even be read as a kind of (pathetic!) internal critic... since he, more than once, pointed out that the party had failed to achieve its greatness... (note my earlier parenthesis about pathetic!).

ah shucks, what do i care... ken