Evangelical Zeal in Politics

kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Sun Aug 6 11:12:48 PDT 2000

On Sun, 6 Aug 2000 13:42:07 -0700 Max Sawicky <sawicky at bellatlantic.net> wrote:

> Contrast the positive aspects of religion with the negative implications of
the religious right, in terms of policy. Force the discussion to relate religious abstractions to their real consequences.

> mbs

I just read through the Canadian Alliance declaration of policy, nothing in it relates to religion at all. I'm struck again by the paradox I mentioned about this last time it went around on the list: the way in which religion serves as the guide, but does so on a completely unofficial level. Any critique of religion, then, can be staved off by saying, "that's not in our platform!" which might be further supplemented by the accusation of persecuting religious adherents... but at the same time, it is completely disturbing to let evangelical Christianity assume the political position without being able to critique it, as religious... It seems to me that the critique of religion-based politics is a double edged sword: damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Maybe I didn't get enough sleep last night.

ken