Evangelical Zeal in Politics

Rob Schaap rws at comedu.canberra.edu.au
Mon Aug 7 08:23:09 PDT 2000

>If you've ever fallen in love... think about it. We fall in love not because
>the person is perfect, but because there is some fatal flaw and we can hold
>over them - giving us a sense of autonomy in the face of the Other.

I've been disagreeing with Ken everywhere of late (sorry, Ken), but this passage is so typical of what's been annoying me about the bleatings of the world's Zizeks and Butlers et al.

No, Ken, I did not fall in love because of some fatal flaw I could hold over the Other!

Where do these people get off diagnosing Others they've never met? Universalising where universalising is supposed to be off limits. Speaking for Others for whom they're not supposed to be allowed to speak.

I mean, it detracts from everything else they have to say! And I don't wear that 'you're just in denial' shit for a minute. Occam's razor would have it that these are just the projections of self-loathing little wankers wallowing in their own boring little neuroses.

Intellectually dishonest, argument-avoiding nonsense, the whole bloody lot of it.

Yours autonomous-in-the-face-of-Lacan, Rob.