The Evil of Two Lessers?

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Tue Aug 8 08:09:31 PDT 2000

But, damn, I still think one of the few positive achievements of the Clinton years was handing a decisive defeat to the moral police. And now we have fucking Jerry Falwell praising Lieberman as an "excellent choice." So we've got a born-again Christian and an Orthodox Jew on the Dem ticket, and the proclaimer of Jesus Day in Texas leading the Republican - and hair-shirt Ralph and the Catholic crypto-fascist Buchanan as our leading alternatives. Is this some collective expiation for the wretched excess of the 90s boom? Doug

Why not take it, at least in part, as a reflex against untrammeled markets and their social implications? When Marx says criticize religion, doesn't he mean separate the wheat from the chaff?

mbs