The Evil of Two Lessers?

Tue Aug 8 09:26:39 PDT 2000

>>> dhenwood at panix.com 08/08/00 11:45AM >>>
Steve Perry wrote:

>when exactly did clinton defeat the
>moral police? was it in signing the
>defense of marriage act, e.g.?

Of course not, which is why I said "the Clinton years," and not Clinton himself. It's the fact that there was very little public support for impeachment, and that the likes of Paul Weyrich went nuts, admitting for the first time that the U.S. was not a moral majority being manipulated by a gang of elite immoralists, but in fact the majority itself was immoral. Weyrich, you may remember, blamed the Frankfurt School for this sorry state of affairs.

CB: Yea, I was just thinking the other day how it must drive a lot of patriotic moralizers nuts that Clinton, an exposed adulterer, presides over the sacred , quotidian, national ceremonies and rituals. But as you say Weyrich says, maybe this only helps consolidate what is clearly an immoral majority seeing as it was the polls that prevented impeachment.