Weyrich letter

Tue Aug 8 11:47:13 PDT 2000

>>> kwalker2 at gte.net 08/08/00 02:17PM >>>

>CB: Seems like cultural anthropology's concept of culture has taken over
>as the/a predominant paradigm for social analysis. "Culture" is such a
>squishy , maleable concept. What causes a culture to collapse ? Satan ?
>
>Also, isn't it a sort of hopeful sign , a light at the end of the
>rightwing tunnel we are in , that rightwingers _think_ things are going
>bad for them ?

no because i think that the heart of a right wing philosophy is the idea that things have *always* gone bad for them. they've beent rying to stave off social and economic change and that was the heart of conservative politics during the rise of modern political ideologies.

CB: Oh, thanks. Darn.

But there is an opposite thrust in late 20th Century conservatism in the Spiro Agnew/Reganite bashing of the nattering nabobs of negativism or whatever , no ? Wasn't a key element of conservative revival that America is and is doing great , contra its radical and "liberal" critics ?

Certainly an essential element, definitional even, of conservatism is staving off social and economic change. though.