Weyrich letter

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Aug 8 13:22:16 PDT 2000

At 02:17 PM 8/8/00 -0400, Kelley wrote:

>>CB: Seems like cultural anthropology's concept of culture has taken over
>>as the/a predominant paradigm for social analysis. "Culture" is such a
>>squishy , maleable concept. What causes a culture to collapse ? Satan ?
>>
>>Also, isn't it a sort of hopeful sign , a light at the end of the
>>rightwing tunnel we are in , that rightwingers _think_ things are going
>>bad for them ?
>

>no because i think that the heart of a right wing philosophy is the idea
>that things have *always* gone bad for them. they've beent rying to stave
>off social and economic change and that was the heart of conservative
>politics during the rise of modern political ideologies.
>
>kelley

correct - that is confirmed inter alia by the _authoritarian personality_ studies showing that the essence of the authoritarian mindset is being under a constant threat by assorted conspiracies; this in turn is linked to their rigidly hierarchical view of society - every group that does not accept "their place" in that hierachy is perceived as a threat to the entire civilisation.

wojtek