Fw: [anarchist-forum] Police Plans re:d2k

Joe R. Golowka joegolowka at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 8 12:46:30 PDT 2000

Joe R. Golowka Anarchist FAQ - http://www.infoshop.org/faq

"The Republican Convention is in Philadelphia, yeah! ... Otherwise known as the Million-White-Man March." - Jay Leno ----- Original Message ----- From: "Oscar " <patternmaster at disinfo.net> To: <patternmaster at disinfo.net> Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2000 5:03 PM Subject: [anarchist-forum] Police Plans re:d2k

> http://news.excite.com/news/uw/000807/university-57
>
> Plans surround Democrat gathering
>

> Updated 12:00 PM ET August 7, 2000
>
> By Linh Tat
> Daily Bruin
> U. California-Los Angeles
>

> (U-WIRE) LOS ANGELES -- Los Angeles, a city known for its hustle and
bustle lifestyle, is now busier than ever.

> With the Democratic National Convention a week away, law enforcement
officers, UCLA student groups and hospital staff are gearing up for their roles in the upcoming week's events.

> The Los Angeles Police Department and other law enforcement agencies have
plans to deal with expected demonstrations, some of which student groups will attend. Meanwhile, hospital staff members plan to volunteer their services to protesters who get injured on the street.

> "(Protesters are) going to flat-out cause confusion and chaos, but make no
mistake about it -- they are not confused," said Lt. Tom McDonald of the West LAPD, at a meeting of Westwood Village merchants Aug. 4.

> Protests are scheduled so each day of the DNC will focus on one theme. On
Aug. 14, demonstrators will demand "Human Need, not Corporate Greed." According to McDonald, demonstrators will gather in Century City and Westwood, where they believe most of the economic power lies.

> Joining the protests will be 10 to 15 graduate students from UCLA's
Environmental Coalition. According to Nikki Pyles, a staff member of the coalition, the group will hold a street theater in Santa Monica Aug. 13 and will be downtown during the week to protest the WTO and demand corporate accountability.

> Other student groups attending the week's organized events include MEChA
and the African Student Union.

> Karren Lane, chair of ASU, said members are dissatisfied that some
Democrats support measures that negatively affect the African American community.

> For example, Lane said propositions 209 and 21, which banned the use of
affirmative action in hiring and admissions policies and allows juveniles to be tried as an adults, affect many African Americans.

> "We want to be out there as a visible reminder to politicians there are
African Americans who do have a political voice, and they are accountable to that voice," Lane said.

> She said though most African Americans are democrats, some party members
still fail to look at the poor conditions in schools comprised predominantly of minorities.

> A protest against police brutality is scheduled at Westwood's Federal
Building Aug. 16.

> No official protest zones are in place in or around Westwood, McDonald
said, though places like Occidental Petroleum, Bank of America, Gap, and Starbucks are expected to be the sites of several demonstrations in the Village.

> Unlike last year's World Trade Organization protests in Seattle, national
labor unions have said they will not demonstrate during the DNC since they support presidential candidate Al Gore. Local unions, on the other hand, are planning protests.

> McDonald would not disclose the LAPD's operations plan, but he said police
will not come out in riot gear.

> In addition to demonstrators, the LAPD must watch out for possible looting
by street gangs. Using the Los Angeles Lakers' championship as an example, McDonald said, "Individuals may take this not as a time to celebrate or demonstrate but as an opportunity (to loot), and we have to be aware of that."

> While thousands are expected to be demonstrating outside the Staples
Center, others will work to help make the DNC run smoothly.

> Melanie Ho, president of Bruin Democrats, said an estimated 50 student
volunteers from the organization will drive officials and other dignitaries around town and greet them at their hotels during the DNC week. Others may even work inside Staples Center.

> "A good number of students will have choice volunteer positions during the
convention because they have been volunteering throughout the summer," Ho said.

> In addition, Bruin Democrats will assist the California Young Democrats
with its conventions and youth caucus.

> "Students our age are definitely qualified to make decisions and to become
politically active, but we need to read and keep ourselves informed," Ho said.

> Besides nominating a presidential candidate, Democrats will decide the
party's platform during the convention. Ho said she would like to focus on issues of poverty, the increasing income gap, and campaign finance reform.

> "We as Americans and the Democratic party need to look at the way
campaigns are run and ensure that everyone can participate despite their background or affluence," Ho said.

> Meanwhile, a team of doctors at UCLA Medical Center, which does not expect
an influx of patients seeking treatment for injuries resulting from riots, will volunteer outside the hospital, said Dr. Marshall Morgan, director of the Emergency Medical Center at UCLA.

> "There's a volunteer effort to create a kind of ad hoc, unofficial
mechanism for taking care of potential injuries that occur on the street," Morgan said. "They have a feeling there will be a lot of minor injuries on the street."

> L.A., which averaged one demonstration per day the past year, experienced
fewer than 10 protests last month, according to McDonald. He said this is because most protesters are preparing for the DNC.

> While city officials estimate that 30,000 to 60.000 protesters will be
present throughout the week, McDonald said he would not be surprised if 90,000 demonstrators show up -- twice the number that showed up to protest the WTO in Seattle.

> (C) 2000 Daily Bruin via U-WIRE
>

> *** NOTICE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material
is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. Feel free to distribute widely but PLEASE acknowledge the source. ***