Lieberman's Record (RE: The Evil of Two Lessers

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Wed Aug 9 08:57:24 PDT 2000

I'd say it shows how important image-shaping is in determining how one looks to the public. I wasn't aware of the extent of JL's liberal side, such as it is, since I tend to fixate on a couple of big issues where he seems in tune with Gore. It also testifies to the opportunism of the DLC, in exalting those with voting records opposed to its own prescriptions.

mbs

> That's weird. I thought you were going to say that looking
over Lieberman's
> record, you find he's actually quite conservative, which
makes you have some
> reservations about supporting Gore.
>
> Actually, Lieberman's ADA rating is the same as Maxine
Waters -- just to
> show you how useful those things are.
>
> ---
>
> Nathan Newman wrote:
>
> > Actually, looking over Lieberman's record, he actually
votes for liberal
> > than he talks - he's hardly Wellstone but he is much
better than someone
> > like John Breux of Louisiana. I pulled various group
ratings off of the
> > Project Vote Smart list at http://www.vote-smart.org.
Trimmed to get rid
> > of the more obscure groups, Lieberman does have a very
good record with
> > the pro-choice, environmental, civil rights and gun
control groups. He
> > has a pretty solid labor, consumer and seniors voting
record. And the
> > anti-tax folks seem to hate his guts, so that is a good
sign.

> > He is most conservative on foreign policy and on certain
business areas -
> > especially trade obviously to fit with the DLC Gore
approach - but he
> > actually has managed to vote a bit more liberal than his
public image.
> > For example (this from another source), his lifetime
Americans for
> > Democratic Action (ADA) rating is about 78, higher than
a lot of other