John Stossel Under Fire

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Fri Aug 11 13:23:59 PDT 2000

In a second NEW YORK TIMES op ad this week we are taking on ABC News reporter John Stossel, who disparaged organic food in a "20/20" report in February (repeated in July) based on fabricated and misrepresented lab tests. Shocking that he'd do so? We think so and that's why we ran the ad.

People with the Environmental Working Group (EWG) called him on it back in February. He and his producer ignored their calls, letters and faxes--and then repeated the misinformation on a subsequent broadcast. Not until the NYT recently ran an article about EWG's complaints did ABC take action, suspending the producer for a month and forcing Stossel to offer a correction on tonight's "20/20" broadcast. But is that enough?

Click here to read our op ad in which we call on ABC to take stronger action. http://www.tompaine.com/opad/

Click here to read the full story by EWG's Kent Cook. http://www.tompaine.com/features/2000/08/10/index.html

John Stossel has a history of making mistakes that serve his ideological agenda. Click here to read about some other examples as profiled by the non-profit media watchdog, FAIR: http://www.tompaine.com/features/2000/08/10/16.html