Laying Bets: W Will Win

kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Tue Aug 15 08:00:00 PDT 2000

On Tue, 15 Aug 2000 10:08:43 -0400 kelley <kwalker2 at gte.net> wrote:

> but ya like me???

Yep.

> anyway, why do you think that people are sheep in such a straightforward way?

Ok, *I'm* a sheep in a straightforward way. I'm the idiot who watched Matrix going "Wow... is that true!?!"

> so, i'm not sure that media so even handedly and uniformly shoves points of
views down people's cranial cavities.

I hope you're right, I really do. But I know that my thoughts rarely stray from being parasitical on whatever was fed to me that day. As much as I'd like to defend the notion of autonomy... I just don't think we have it in us. If I did I suspect I'd be more of a Habermasian. Castoriadis is pretty good on autonomy... but I can't help but think that the notion of a 'monadic core' of subjectivity, which resists all heterogenous elements, is an illusion.

Does anyone have any profound thoughts on the Hollywoodism of politics? Maybe this will seep north and I'll be able to see William Shatner during the next federal election.

otherness incarnated, ken