Union Leaders and the Left (RE: Laying Bets: W Will Win

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Aug 15 13:31:35 PDT 2000

Nathan Newman wrote:

>I just have never understood how leftists can speak so often in the name
>of the working class while ignoring and belittling the opinions of leaders
>elected by those same people?

1) Unions are hardly models of democracy. How many union leaders are elected by the rank & file? 2) It's kind of hard to argue that U.S. unions are thriving, so maybe these leaders are making less-than-wise choices. 3) Are we unfit to criticize union leaders, or any other elected politicians, unless we stand for election ourselves?

Doug