Moody & Gaitskill on capitalism & sadness

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Aug 16 11:27:59 PDT 2000

Sex, capitalism and antidepressants By Rick Moody and Mary Gaitskill

<http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2000/08/14/moody_gaitskill/index.html>

Mary Gaitskill, author of the short story collections "Bad Behavior" (1988) and "Because They Wanted To" (1997) and the novel "Two Girls, Fat and Thin" (1991), and I have been corresponding by e-mail for some months on literature, sex and contemporary Western culture. Gaitskill is an incisive and fierce critic of what's deplorable in the present moment, and also a passionate protector of what she thinks might still work for writers and thinkers these days. Perhaps the two of us exemplify the problems at hand, in that this conversation never took place as a conversation; rather, it occurred only in the confines of an e-mail exchange. Yet we're attempting to indicate the possibility that literature and other marginalized discourses might still flourish inside the machine of Western consumer culture. What follows, then, are excerpts from the most recent weeks of our epistolary tete-a-tete....