Laying Bets: W Will Win

Joe R. Golowka joegolowka at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 16 10:51:57 PDT 2000

From: "Chuck Grimes" <cgrimes at tsoft.com>
> > Vote. If it makes no difference, then vote anyway.
>
> It makes a difference. Voting implies that you approve of the system. I
do
> not and not voting is the closest thing we have to voting for none of the
> above. Elections are a means of state control, ...
>
> Joe Golowaka
>
> -----------------
>
> See, item B, silence is unknowable and unknown.

Hardly unknowable. The percent of people who don't vote is usually reported in mainstream media.

> Not voting means nothing because the null option is null, completely. I
can
> claim my absent vote counts but see it wasn't counted under anything
listed but
> not voting. It doesn't imply anything.

It means that you choose not to participate in the system. If you don't like the system - why participate? You gain nothing. It's hypocritical to participate in an activity you think is wrong.

> On the other hand, I certainly agree that voting is some form of
> accent, but so is not voting, since you are under the same domination
whether
> you vote or not. This is partly a consequence of not voting, since a null
can
> stand for anything or nothing. They are logical mirrors of one another.
>
> And, voting or not voting, doesn't keep you from throwing rocks too, you
> know. But the nice thing about voting and then throwing rocks at the same
idiot,
> has a certain, I don't know, ambiance to it, like choosing your target.

Throwing rocks at the same person you vote for is idiotic. No matter who you vote for a corporate lackey is going to win. Elections actually help the ruling class because it generates the illusion that we have control over the system. The less people that participate in it the weaker that illusion gets. The majority of the Proletariat do not vote; I encourage everyone that considers themselves a supporter of the working class to stand in solidarity and do the same.

Joe R. Golowka JoeG at ieee.org

"Candidates say "vote for me, and I will do so-and-so for you." Few believe them, but more important, a different process is unthinkable: that in their unions, political clubs, and other popular organizations people should formulate their own plans and projects and put forth candidates to represent them. Even more unthinkable is that the general public should have a voice in decisions about investment, production, the character of work, and other basic aspects of life. The minimal conditions for functioning democracy have been removed far beyond thought, a remarkable victory of the doctrinal system." -- Noam Chomsky