Laying Bets: W Will Win

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Aug 16 13:46:43 PDT 2000

Dennis Breslin wrote:

>Doug Henwood wrote:
>> I seriously doubt that
>> Time/CNN is telling Gallup to spin their polls for W.
>
>And there you were the other day remarking on how the
>pundits were under orders by the ruling class...

Not under orders; achieving consensus among a committee that never meets as a committee of the whole.

There's a big difference between a bunch of folks, of relatively common temperaments and interests, getting together and yakking with each other and telling pollsters to cook their results to match the consensus of the collected yakkers. The first is a theory of class rule, and the second of rule by conspiracy. But Comrade Brown & I have differed on the word "conspiracy" in the past, and I suspect we will again.

Doug