software

Michael Perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Wed Aug 16 16:37:33 PDT 2000

As you know, I am not an expert, but what I have seen is that, because of the enormous progress in hardware, software writers do not have to worry much about efficiency. For ordinary word processing work, Word is not an enormous advance over Wordstar, which ran on 64k (k not meg) machines. To compress a complex application into such a low capacity environment was a work of genius. So each generation of software contains more and more bloat.

What you do have are entirely new applications -- multimedia stuff, voice recognition, .... Of course, you cannot calculate efficiency gains when you more to a whole new category.

Tel. 530-898-5321 E-Mail michael at ecst.csuchico.edu