Fw: (en) Reclaim the Cities: From Protest to Popular Power

Joe R. Golowka joegolowka at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 17 17:49:31 PDT 2000

Joe R. Golowka JoeG at ieee.org

"Candidates say "vote for me, and I will do so-and-so for you." Few believe them, but more important, a different process is unthinkable: that in their unions, political clubs, and other popular organizations people should formulate their own plans and projects and put forth candidates to represent them. Even more unthinkable is that the general public should have a voice in decisions about investment, production, the character of work, and other basic aspects of life. The minimal conditions for functioning democracy have been removed far beyond thought, a remarkable victory of the doctrinal system." -- Noam Chomsky ----- Original Message ----- From: "Institute For Social Ecology" <ise at tao.ca> To: <a-infos-en at tao.ca> Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2000 5:05 PM Subject: (en) Reclaim the Cities: From Protest to Popular Power

> [...]
> elsewhere; just the opposite. Besides a long overdue and necessary
critique
> of numerous institutions of command and obedience, the movement is quietly
> yet crucially supplying the outlines of a freer society. This
prefigurative
> politics is, in fact, the very strength and vision of today's direct
action,
> where the means themselves are understood to also be the ends. We're not
> putting off the good society until some distant future but attempting to
> carve out room for it in the here and now, however tentative and contorted
> under the given social order. In turn, this consistency of means and ends
> implies an ethical approach to politics. How we act now is how we want
> others to begin to act, too. We try to model a notion of goodness even as
we
> fight for it.
>
> This can implicitly be seen in the affinity group and spokescouncil
> structures for decision making at direct actions. Both supply much needed
> spaces in which to school ourselves in direct democracy. Here, in the best
> of cases, we can proactively set the agenda, carefully deliberate together
> over questions, and come to decisions that strive to take everyone's needs
> and desires into account. Substantive discussion replaces checking boxes
on
> a ballot; face-to-face participation replaces handing over our lives to
> so-called representatives; nuanced and reasoned solutions replace
> lesser-of-two-(or-three-)evils' thinking. The democratic process utilized
> during demonstrations decentralizes power even as it offers tangible
> solidarity; for example, affinity groups afford greater and more diverse
> numbers of people a real share in decision making, while spokescouncils
> allow for intricate coordination--even on a global level. This is, as
1960s'
> activists put it, the power to create rather than destroy.
>
> The beauty of this new movement, it could be said, is that it strives to
> take its own ideals to heart. In doing so, it has perhaps unwittingly
> created the demand for such directly democratic practices on a permanent
> basis. Yet the haunting question underlying episodic "street democracy"
> remains unaddressed: How can everyone come together to make decisions that
> affect society as a whole in participatory, mutualistic, and ethical ways?
> In other words, how can each and every one of us--not just a
counterculture
> or this protest movement--really transform and ultimately control our
lives
> and that of our communities?
>
> This is, in essence, a question of power--who has it, how it is used, and
> what ends. To varying degrees, we all know the answer in relation to
current
> institutions and systems. We can generally explain what we are against.
That
> is exactly why we are protesting, whether it is against capitalism and/or
> nation-states, or globalization in whole or part. What we have largely
> failed to articulate, however, is any sort of response in relation to
> liberatory institutions and systems. We often can't express, especially in
> any coherent and utopian manner, what we are for. Even as we prefigure a
way
> of making power horizontal, equitable, and hence, hopefully an essential
> part of a free society, we ignore the reconstructive vision that a
directly
> democratic process holds up right in front of our noses.
>
> For all intents and purposes, our movement remains trapped. On the one
hand,
> it reveals and confronts domination and exploitation. The political
pressure
> exerted by such widespread agitation may even be able to influence current
> power structures to amend some of the worst excesses of their ways; the
> powers that be have to listen, and respond to some extent, when the voices
> become too numerous and too loud. Nevertheless, most people are still shut
> out of the decision-making process itself, and consequently, have little
> tangible power over their lives at all. Without this ability to
self-govern,
> street actions translate into nothing more than a countercultural version
of
> interest group lobbying, albeit far more radical than most and generally
> unpaid.
>
> What the movement forgets is the promise implicit in its own structure:
that
> [...]
> profit-oriented, confederations could coordinate distribution between
> regions in ecological and humane ways, while allowing policy in regard to
> production, say, to remain at the grassroots.
>
> This more expansive understanding of a prefigurative politics would
> necessarily involve creating institutions that could potentially replace
> capitalism and nation-states. Such directly democratic institutions are
> compatible with, and could certainly grow out of, the ones we use during
> demonstrations, but they very likely won't be mirror images once we reach
> the level of society. This does not mean abandoning the principles and
> ideals undergirding the movement (such as freedom, cooperation,
> decentralism, solidarity, diversity, face-to-face participation, and the
> like); it merely means recognizing the limits of direct democracy as it is
> practiced in the context of a demonstration.
>
> Any vision of a free society, if it is to be truly democratic, must of
> course be worked out by all of us--first in this movement, and later, in
our
> communities and confederations. Even so, we will probably discover that
> newly defined understandings of citizenship are needed in place of
affinity
> groups; majoritarian methods of decision making that strive to retain
> diversity are preferable to simple consensus-seeking models; written
> compacts articulating rights and duties are crucial to fill out the
unspoken
> culture of protests; and institutionalized spaces for policy making are
key
> to guaranteeing that our freedom to make decisions doesn't disappear with
> line of riot police.
>
> It is time to push beyond the oppositional character of our movement by
> infusing it with a reconstructive vision. That means beginning, right now,
> to translate our movement structure into institutions that embody the good
> society; in short, cultivating direct democracy in the places we call
home.
> This will involve the harder work of reinvigorating or initiating civic
> gatherings, town meetings, neighborhood assemblies, citizen mediation
> boards, any and all forums where we can come together to decide our lives,
> even if only in extralegal institutions at first. Then, too, it will mean
> reclaiming globalization, not as a new phase of capitalism but as its
> replacement by confederated, directly democratic communities coordinated
for
> mutual benefit.
>
> It is time to move from protest to politics, from shutting down streets to
> opening up public space, from demanding scraps from those few in power to
> holding power firmly in all our hands. Ultimately, this means moving
beyond
> the question of "Whose Streets?" We should ask instead "Whose Cities?"
Then
> and only then will we be able to remake them as our own.
>

> -Cindy Milstein is a faculty member at the Institute for Social Ecology
(see
> http://ise.tao.ca/ for more on the ISE) and a board member for the
Institute