WB on Prague

Patrick Bond pbond at wn.apc.org
Fri Aug 18 11:56:22 PDT 2000

> From: Chuck0 <chuck at tao.ca>
> > Alas, says the story, too many disparate themes do not a coherent protest
> > make. And that incoherence may well be the one factor that prevents this
> > outpouring of grievances from ever becoming a true mass movement.
> Damn, I really hope the ruling class guys who are the target for this
> missive really buy into this conclusion.
> If so, this will make it easier to sneak up on them again.

You're right there. The SA finance minister's press secretary, a former lefty, responded to a request for info about the A16 meeting a couple of weeks ahead of time by saying something to the effect, "But Seattle was a protest about trade, they don't have any basis to protest the WB." This is interesting because the SA finance minister is chair of the WB/IMF board of governors this year.

By the way, the cult film Two Trevors Go To Washington (recut for yanks) will be on tour in October, just after Prague; let me know if you think your town could play host to the filmmaker and to Soweto activist Trevor Ngwane, SA's answer to Subcom Marcos...

Patrick Bond (pbond at wn.apc.org) home: 51 Somerset Road, Kensington 2094 South Africa phone: (2711) 614-8088 work: University of the Witwatersrand Graduate School of Public and Development Management PO Box 601, Wits 2050, South Africa work email: bond.p at pdm.wits.ac.za work phone: (2711) 717-3917 work fax: (2711) 484-2729 cellphone: (27) 83-633-5548