Laying Bets: W Will Win

Nathan Newman nathan.newman at yale.edu
Mon Aug 21 08:30:14 PDT 2000

On Sun, 20 Aug 2000, Michael Pollak wrote:

> You're on Nathan. I'll bet on Gore. A $25 gift certificate to the newly
> unionized Powell's seems like a perfect stake.
>
> Michael

Waiting until after Gore's speech is hardly cricket :) Seth never responded on confirming the bet, but if he still wants it, he gets first crack. Otherwise, you can jump into his spot.

Gore's speech was exactly the speech he needed to make and about as good a speech as he could deliver. Which is both the good and bad news for him. But it definately made me more optimistic that he might be able to pull off a win. However, the odds are still against him and a bet against him is the perfect hedge bet- if he wins, paying up the bet will be easy given the relief and if he loses, I'll comfort myself with a nice book on crisis-induced revolution :)

-- Nathan Newman