Verizon: union win

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Mon Aug 21 22:43:47 PDT 2000

>On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, Chuck0 wrote:
>
> > be asking for. And let me go a little further on the limb. What's the
> point
> > of winning better conditions for what are basically shitty jobs? In the
> short
> > term, yes, better conditions are worth striking for, but in the end, who
> > wants to spend their lives working in a customer service center?

doug asked your accusers "what's with the either/or stuff". well, it looks to me as if you, chuck0, engage in it just as much. what b.s. doug! you blast chris for blasting back at chuck? huh? chuck spouted off some incredible drivel. itis thoroughly unwarranted and shouldn't be encouraged. having spent plenty of time reading infoshops, i know that, in principal, this isn't a sentiment that is publicly acknowledge in any formal way. and yet here on this list you've spewed anti worker crap so often it makes me ill.

i likened you to carrol because for all the pretenses the two of you make to detesting each other AND to severely objecting to each other's politics, you're both alike. if they're not on your side, doing what you think is best, then fuck 'em all, sez carrol/chuck0/leatherbuoyz.

what a bunch of horse hockey these sentiments are: who wants to be a customer service rep in a c.service center the rest of their lives?

well, guess what? people do that work and, right now, somebody is going to do that work... as to the future? i seriously doubt there's any groovy utopian future where we can get machines to do it all or that products will not needs servicing. so, while you are setting about to destroy the capitalist order, maybe you might try looking at the capitalist ideologies that you harbor.

you and carrol also share despite the official rhetoric of being "for" the working class a basic antipathy toward workers. what, are they sheeple chuck0?

it's important to criticize social movements, of course. marx argued often that it was important to criticize the "struggles and wishes" of the age and radicalize them.

(and what the hell do you think people are doing with regard to the anarchist struggles lately? they are critiquing your/their politics. perfectly warranted.)

sure, don't we wish verizon workers would ask for a whole lot more. but, get real man. shtting all over them is unwarranted. you try laying your job on the line and see what it takes out of you. it ain't easy, especially if you have a family to feed and a mortgage to pay. this is an important victory given the tenor of the labor movement in the past two decades, not to mention its incredible decline over the past half c. if all you can do is sneer at them, then it seems to me that you are committing the very same damn sins that the leninist marxists etc you so revile committed.

i used to say the crap you say, back when i was a cook. people would ask, "so why are you going to college?"

"so i don't have to work in this hole for the rest of my life"

one day i realized that the people i said that to would work in that hole the rest of their lives.

the repetitive anti-worker sentiments will, in the end, be an unfortunate impediment to the anarchist project.

but you know that, in principle.

kelley