Fwd: The Games

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Aug 22 12:53:58 PDT 2000

[sent to me rather than the list]

From: "paul childs" <npchilds at connect.ab.ca> Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 09:19:23 -0600

This series has been on the Holy Mother Corp (CBC) up here since late June and is still running, no idea how may episodes but it will be over too soon in my mind.

It is hilarious, some fairly sophisticated satire of the games, politics and bureaucracies in general; a loudmouth lout of an environment minister 'Robbo' who announces that two species of animals that live in an Olympic construction site are now off the endangered list. They're extinct; 'Either way, they're off the list'. A track for the 100M dash that's only 94M long, the only corporate sponsor is a tobacco company, the Olympic Organizing Committee officials only have to smoke while the games are on, 'We can quit afterwards'. And last night the CEO of the Organizing Committee hired a comedian to impersonate a former prime minister on the phone so the CEO could crucify a pesky journalist.......

Well worth watching IMHO, and could only have been made in Oz.

PC