Verizon: union win

Michael Yates mikey+ at pitt.edu
Tue Aug 22 14:30:38 PDT 2000

I think that one of the problems with unions in the U.S. is that the nature and purpose of work is seldom on the table. And probably the reason for this is that organized labor lacks any sort of ideology other than the worn-out "pragmatism" of Samuel Gompers. I have had one of this society's very good jobs, college teacher, but I find this work increasingly demeaning and anti-human and for the most part supportive of this horrible system. This is why I am retiring and thankful that I am able to do so.

I do not think that ChuckO believe that workers should not fight for a little more. But it is necessry for as many people as possible to fight for a more radical labor movement, one that puts the question of work right at the top of its list.

Chuck0 wrote:

snip