Finkelstein's background

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Aug 24 07:17:30 PDT 2000

Brad De Long wrote:

>I did read beyond p. 13; I think that Goldhagen's book has a number
>of very big problems. But that Goldhagen is an unwitting apologist
>for Hitler is not one of them...

Who said that? I think Norman's point (I don't have the book nearby, so I can't check the context) is that a theory of collective guilt absolves anyone of personal or collective political responsibility and absolves the analyst of having to explain why the Nazi holocaust happened. That's not far from the Elie Wiesel line that to try to explain the Holocaust is to demean it.

Doug