Verizon: union win

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Aug 24 07:53:27 PDT 2000

Nathan Newman wrote:

>Are you or have you ever been a known binarist? :)
>I feel the cold wind of a postmodernist purge. Burn the essentialist
>binarists.

Hardly. The only person I've purged recently is the intensely annoying Jim Jaszewski.

>One of the luxuries of pure speculation is that you can avoid hard choices
>and either/or decisions. But in most organizing, there are choices, in
>time, in energy, in resources devoted to one strategy or another.

To quote a great inclusionist, there he goes again. The sweatshop kids and the unions, just to take one example, are each energizing the other - it's a wonderful synergy. I don't see why you have to go looking for contradictions where none exist. Unproductive, divisive, destructive contradictions, I mean. It's like that whole tedious identity/class division.

>And success goes to those groups that choose to put their resources into
>the best strategies while minimizing resources wasted on ineffectual ones.

Which presumes you know which will be which in advance. You sound like some financial theorist imparting perfect foreknowledge to The Markets.

Doug