Verizon: union win

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Thu Aug 24 08:48:40 PDT 2000

John: That's a fair enough criticism of the contemporary IWW. You are pretty much on target on most of your points, so I'm not going to say much in response. It's kind of funny to hear criticisms that *I* make of the IWW echoed in your remarks. What I typically say is that the IWW is a club for academic labor historians.

It certainly doesn't match the size and power of the IWW back in the early 20th century. I'm sure that most IWW members aren't fooling themselves about that. On the other hand, the IWW has seen a big growth spurt in the past 3 years, mostly as a result of the highly visible, yet unsuccessful Borders organizing drive. I also get the impression that the IWW is currently undergoing a paradigm shift as a result of the anti-globalization movement. The amount of squabbling has decreased and the energy of our younger members is changing the culture of the union back to what it was like 100 hundred years ago.

It's like what I tell my fellow Wobs. We have to create a new resistance culture for the 21st century. All of that old IWW paraphernalia is certainly interested, but slapping a 70-year-old graphic on a pamphlet isn't going to cut it.

Thanks for your comments.

Chuck0