Directed Polymers and the Distribution of Wealth

J. Barkley Rosser, Jr. rosserjb at jmu.edu
Fri Aug 25 08:00:32 PDT 2000

This article overstates how similar the distributions are across countries. E varies well beyond the 2-3 range he claims. I also note that directed polymer models are hardly the only way one can get a Pareto-Levy distribution. Quite a lot of stochastic processes will generate one. This is a puff piece for these particular physicists. I would note more generally that the new "econophysics" movement is full of a lot of people who don't know any economics and think they are "rebuilding economics from the ground up," when all they are doing is exhibiting their ignorance of the economics literature. I could go on about this at some length, but will resist the temptation.

Again, just because Pareto distributions are widespread does not mean that there is nothing anybody can do about the distribution of wealth or income. These distributions vary quite enormously in their coefficients from country to country, a point already made on this list. http://cob.jmu.edu/rosserjb

Barkley Rosser -----Original Message----- From: McNally, David J. (LNG-MBC) <David.J.McNally at bender.com> To: 'lbo-talk at lists.panix.com' <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Thursday, August 24, 2000 6:11 PM Subject: Directed Polymers and the Distribution of Wealth