Academic Regulation of Research: Human Subject restrictions

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Fri Aug 25 22:26:43 PDT 2000

At 12:05 PM 8/25/00 -0400, Nathan Newman wrote:

>Lingua Franca has a very interesting article this month on the issue of
>how social science "Human Subject" review committees are increasingly
>limiting and pressuring researchers who do interviews, going even beyond
>the restrictions that arose in the case of human experimentation.
>
>http://www.linguafranca.com/print/0009/humans.html

there's a really good one from a coupla years ago, Spies Like US. deals with the history of such controversial research in sociology of the past half c. had my studs read it when i taught social science methods courses. heh. messed with their heads since it's hard for an undergrad to get a grip on the internal critiques and debates that take place in a discipline. you're job is to get them to be keen on the discipline. yet, i hate that indoctrination and always problematize it. bums them out, often enough.

kelley