Finkelstein's background

Tue Aug 29 09:41:15 PDT 2000

>Hello, all, back from holiday...
>
>But I don't think that is what F really means. I think what he means
>is to attack a varient of cheap relativism: The Germans have
>different values, so we cannot judge them. Now Goldhagen clearly
>does judge them: the Germans up till the fall of Nazism are all
>exterminist Jew-hating psychos, bad people. however, F's worry is
>that we cannot, on G's theory, hold individual Germans morally
>responsible for specific crimes or omissions...

But this variant of cheap relativism is not held by G, whose view is that Nazi-era Germans were very different from us *and* *they* *were* *bad*--*bad* *in* *every* *possible* *way*.

So it seems to me to be a mistake for F to say: "G is wrong because if you attach this variant of cheap relativism to his intellectual apparatus it blows up..."

Brad DeLong