US employment and non-wage benefits

Tom Lehman TLehman at lor.net
Tue Aug 29 18:42:44 PDT 2000

Numbers can be played with, and, definitions twisted. The fact is that by everyone's admission there are between 40 and 46 million Americans without any health insurance. I've never seen or heard this range of numbers contested by anyone across the political spectrum.

Then there are American who have less than adequate health insurance and who have seen their benefits cut or managed over the last 20 years. This would be a hard or almost impossible stat to track. Add to this the loss or reduction in benefits for eyecare or dental and this too would be hard to track.

We in the USA have also seen a shift from very solid defined benefit pension plans to defined contribution plans. There are also shakey and under-funded pension plans out there too. One could probably make a career of poking around in PBGC data and SEC data.

These are a few things to consider.

Tom Lehman

Btw, I believe we have a mutual e-mail pal in the Australian union movement.