falsifiability fetish was Re: anti-depressants

Lisa & Ian Murray seamus at accessone.com
Wed Aug 30 10:48:40 PDT 2000

>>Is there any good critique of the falsifiability fetish? I suspect
it's questionable, but I can't put my finger on why.

Doug

For fairly ortho vacation reading on the topic try:

Can theories be refuted? : Essays on the Duhem-Quine thesis. Edited by Sandra G. Harding 1976

Social Epistemology. By Steve Fuller 1988 [this one sort of launched the science studies movement and has a great appendix on the tensions between the authoritarian proclivities of expert knowledge and the democratic "demand" for holding big science accountable; it takes some great swipes at Popper and his ilk]

Justin probably has some good suggestions....

Ian