Out on an Althusserian Limb (was Re: A zillion is too many!)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Dec 1 03:00:35 PST 2000

Jim D. says:

>BTW, the problem I find with Wolff & Resnick is they seem to make a
>conscious effort to avoid taking a stand on anything. No factor is
>society is more important than any other, while the disagreement
>between the neoclassical and Marxian schools seems to be nothing but
>a matter of opinion (subjective).

Right. Althusser's "overdetermination" is the furthest point you can reach on the limb of "relative autonomy," and if you go beyond it as Wolff & Resnick do, you fall off the deep end, never to see the light of day again.... M-C-M' has the last word on capitalism, even if "the lonely hour of the 'last instance' never comes" in empirical investigations. This is what I was trying to get at, in the "debates" on capitalism & slavery....

Yoshie