FW: Racial Blind Spot Continues to Afflict Greens

Fri Dec 1 13:10:12 PST 2000

Nathan Newman wrote:
> Shame on Ralph. Shame on the Greens.

True, absolutely true. But what have the Dems done about harassment of black voters lately? Is it part of the post-election lawsuits? Doug

In re: the latter, no this is all about poisoning the atmosphere for Bush so that he can't govern or win re-election. None of which bothers me, in and of itself.

Play this out a bit more. We would like to see Al Gore make black voter disenfranchisement an enduring issue and fight for permanent remedies. But we know that's not who he is. He is one to take advantage of this sort of atmospherics for his own benefit. So it is silly to reason, _______ (substitute Gore or DNC) should do X. I might as well say my cat should earn a six-figure salary and pay down my mortgage for me.

The agitation around the african-american vote is left-Democratic. It will serve its purpose and fade away on cue, because that's what LEFT-DEMOCRATS DO. There is no reason to tail that action. There would be some rationale in focusing an independent movement upon it, but that's not what I see being raised.

CB: Struggle against racist discrimination in voting should be just as high on any progressive/left agenda as building an independence of the Democratic Party. As with many aspects of reality in struggle, there is a bit of a contradiction between those two goals in the current concrete circumstance, given the overwhelming support of Black voters for Democrats. However, there has been plenty of criticism of Gore and the DLC dominating tendency these days, so that there is no need to criticize those who criticize widespread racist bars to voting for not criticizing Gore. So what if Gore has impure motives , on this specific issue ? His impure motives may overlap with our purposes at this point, sort of like abolitionists allied with Lincoln and his impure motives in the Civil War, or Communists and industrial trade unionists allied with Roosevelt Democrats in the 30's. ( not that this issue is as big as the Civil War)

In other words, just because Gore might have impure motives in backing protests against racist discrimination against voters doesn't mean that we don't accept his support of the protests; and that does not evince expectation that Gore will lead renewed charge on voting rights. We'll just take his sullied support as much as he gives it.

Also, Nader should be criticized too, especially now that the election is over and it is not a matter of promoting or discouraging votes for him. Many lefts have been criticizing Nader as not left enough all along.

Fran Beal criticized the Democrats elsewhere. Criticizing Gore in this article is not a premise for her criticizing Nader.

Independence of the Democratic Party is not the highest principle in operation here, and is not a general litmus test for the leftness or progressivity of every action, contra Solidarity , et al.