FW: Racial Blind Spot Continues to Afflict Greens

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Dec 1 13:43:19 PST 2000

Nathan Newman wrote:

>So you thought the abuses suffered by white folks in places like Wisconsin
>and Oregon were likely to be similar to those faced by blacks and latinos in
>Florida.

Fuck no. This is one of the things that make you such an excellent propagandist - you attribute ludicrous positions to people you're arguing with and then mount a high horse to denounce them. This will probably make you a very good lawyer too. The bit you quote from me was when we were talking about all the funny ballot design and quirky counting. I'll bet if you scrutinized almost any electoral district in the U.S. you'd find lots of anomalies, ranging from incompetence to fraud. It only became an issue in Florida because Gore's ass was in the fire there. The harassment and intimidation of black and Latino voters is thoroughly horrendous, a thing totally apart from routine incompetence and fraud. Nader's silence is a disgrace, too.

Loud & clear enough?

Doug