math and IQ

Leslilake1 at aol.com Leslilake1 at aol.com
Fri Dec 1 18:51:55 PST 2000

I only did introductory graduate work in linguistics and am pretty clueless about higher math, but I can't believe there's much relationship between language structure and mathematical ability or IQ. Japanese and Chinese belong to different language families and are structurally quite different (although Japanese characters were adapted from Chinese ones, along with a lot of vocabulary), and both are quite different and unrelated to the Indo-European languages (i.e. most European languages, Sanskrit, Farsi, etc.). At the same time, minority groups in many countries tend to have lower IQ scores (and, I assume, produce fewer mathematicians) than the majority populations, despite often speaking the majority language. It's not just blacks and whites in the U.S. - there's also an IQ difference (of a rather similar # of points, as I recall from a comparison I read in the mid-eighties) between majority populations and "discriminated" minority groups such as the burakumin in Japan and the Lapps (in whichever country the Lapps live in!). I remember these two especially because they were "non-racial" minorities, i.e., you couldn't tell by looking, as an outsider, that they were "different" from the majority population, but the comparison went through a whole bunch of countries and talked about minority populations I'd never heard of.

Another thing about IQ is that scores in every country, for every tested group, have been rising steadily in this century - something that would not happen if IQ were actually measuring some fixed, "inherent" intelligence. The difference between my IQ and my great-grandmother's is probably approximately as large as the average black-white difference in the US - and it's not because I'm "smarter" than my great-gramma was. IQ is bullshit, in my opinion (my IQ is 140, or was in high school, and I'm dumb as a post about anything that matters, including math - but I can read fast.)

4:59 -0800 (PST)

From: Adam Pressler <adampopulist at yahoo.com>

Subject: Race and math scores (was: Seligman on intelligence)

Without getting too deep into the Bellcurve bullshit...It seems that since the rules of

expression for mathematics is universal across

cultures, but the rules of expression for language are

not, maybe someone growing up speaking a germanic

language (for example) may have an edge over someone

speaking a romance language when it comes to

mathematics.

In other words, maybe the structure of certain spoken

languages may be more similar than others to the

structure of mathematics - and this may give some

people an edge in math over others.

I'm hoping there are some linguists or

psychometricians in the group who may be able to

address this.

> [A Daniel Seligman sampler...]

> And on average they [Orientals (sic)] are smarter. >

That is the message