Race and math scores (was: Seligman on intelligence)

elena spectra at elits.rousse.bg
Sat Dec 2 03:15:10 PST 2000

combining Miles' and Leslie's messages to save bandwidth: ----- Original Mess ----- From: Miles Jackson
> The researchers speculated that the
> difference in math skills was due to language--
> apparently the Chinese words for numbers like eleven
> and twelve translate into English as "ten and one",
> "ten and two", and so on. Thus learning how to say
> numbers in Chinese encourages kids to think in terms
> of addition. The Sapir-Whorf hypothesis strikes again!
thriteen, fourteen, fifteen....... twenty-one......fifty-one...

----- Original Mess ----- From: <Leslilake1 at aol.com> It's not
> just blacks and whites in the U.S. - there's also an IQ difference (of a
> rather similar # of points, as I recall from a comparison I read in the
> mid-eighties) between majority populations and "discriminated" minority
> groups such as the burakumin in Japan and the Lapps (in whichever country
the
> Lapps live in!). I remember these two especially because they were
> "non-racial" minorities, i.e., you couldn't tell by looking, as an
outsider,
> that they were "different" from the majority population, but the
comparison
> went through a whole bunch of countries and talked about minority
populations
> I'd never heard of.
This has nothing to do with minority's being at a disadvantage regarding their access to education, or cultural capital, by a long stretch; with the majority's eager and active wardens of that access; with structural inequality that not just reproduces itself but multiplies the difference when translated into life-chances in a country of unlimitedly diminishing opportunities like Bulgaria at the moment? But the French-speaking minority in Belgium was hardly at a disadvantage, for ex.... Just thinking aloud...