FW: Racial Blind Spot Continues to Afflict Greens

Sat Dec 2 10:15:18 PST 2000

This is a comment by Gerald Horne.

Charles B.

Certainly, Jesse, et.al., are Dems but, as I'm sure you know, the leadership of this party rests with Gore, Ed Rendell (former Mayor of Philadelphia), and--ultimately--a wing of capital heavily concentrated in capital intensive (as opposed to labor intensive) industries, e.g. investment banking, trial lawyering, etc. With regard to the latter and their press organs, there is meager Black representation and this is what I'm talking about when I suggest that the Dems are reluctant to frame this matter in Fla. in racial terms. This is why mainstream Black leaders are howling about why a Democratic led Justice Dept. has not intervened on the basis of clear violations of the Voting Rights Act of 1965. In other words, there is a struggle within this party and we of the left have a few choices: we can ignore this struggle as irrelevant, we can echo the words of investment bankers and rich trial lawyers and their media mouthpieces or we can--in the midst of building our independent forms--lend our voices to those who are struggling against racism within the Democratic Party. I choose the latter. There was serious racism imbedded in the Fla. election--it was not exclusively of a class character--and if the left ignores this or downplays it because we have difficulty in framing it in class terms that elide racism, we are doing a disservice to our community and ourselves.

The subjective intentions of Jesse and others in terms of why they are protesting in Fla. (i.e. whether they are doing Clinton's bidding, whether they are doing Gore's bidding, etc.,etc.), I will leave to those who are more competent than myself in being able to "divine" intent. I prefer to examine the situation *objectively* as a massive deprivation of the democratic right to vote, executed with a heavy racial bias, and support those and join those who protest this kind of racism.